Surname Atlas has been updated to Version 1.20 and will be available at the “Who Do You Think You Are? Live show Birmingham, on 16th to 18th April 2015. Visit the Guild of One-Name Studies tables T7 to T9 and purchase a copy at a price of £15.00 (£13.50 to Guild members). The revised version of Surname Atlas is also available to purchase online from the Guild of One-Name Studies website Sales page.
Surname Atlas plots surname and first name data from the 1881 Census. This is the simplest tool to use to demonstrate a surname distribution in Great Britain, and is regularly demonstrated at Fairs attended by the Guild of One-Name Studies. Even non-genealogists can get hooked! The Atlas can display at county level or at Poor-Law Union level, using absolute numbers or relative frequency. The British 19th Century Surname Atlas is a fully interactive CD-Rom product that allows you to plot distribution maps for all of the surnames and forenames found in the 1881 Census of England, Scotland, and Wales. These are some of the features of Surname Atlas:
• Plot any of the 140,000+ surnames and variants that appear in the 1881 Census. In many cases the maps will indicate the probable geographical origin of a surname.
• Plot any of the 160,000+ forenames, and view their popularity through time.
• Aggregate data by county or Poor-Law Union
• Plot data as actual numbers, or as density (per 100,000 of the population)
• Show one or four surname maps at any one time
• Zoom and pan the maps to frame exactly the area you want to see
• Print maps, or export to the Windows clipboard
• County Surnames tab added – identifies which surnames have a higher total percentage in a particular county than any other county.
• Exports a map via the clipboard, including the map keys (i.e. the coloured boxes with associated values)
• Results tab allows display of numbers as colour-coded histogram bars
Version V1.20 has added more detailed mapping of surnames & forenames in Scotland, down to district level (previously to county level only); coastlines are in greater detail; improvements to syntax & placement of some area labels and further ‘default’ views added (Scotland, Wales).
Upgrade from earlier versions of Surname Atlas
If you have an earlier version of Surname Atlas and want to upgrade, please place an order with Steve Archer http://www.archersoftware.co.uk/orderfrm.htm and return the front card insert with order £5.00 (UK); €10.00 (Europe) or $10.00 (Australia, Canada, New Zealand and USA).
Steve Archer, author of Surname Atlas, said today:
“Surname Atlas is a must-have for the people undertaking family history research who want to show the distribution of their surnames. For people with an interest in Scottish surnames, the new version of Surname Atlas is even more useful than before.”
5,415 total views, 2 views today