1,634 total views, 1 views today
About the study
1. Dutch: habitational name from a place called De Voerde in Friesland
2. Dutch: Americanized form of VANDERVOORT
History of the name
The Vandervords 'migrated' from Canvey Island to Leigh-on-Sea where they became involved with shipping and the sea. Over the next hundred years they moved eastwards along the coast of Essex, ending up in Southend-on-Sea as 'Hoymen' - these were the masters and crew of Hoys (one masted coasting ketches or barges) and over the next 150 years the Vandervords owned or sailed 34 Thames Barges. They owned their own granary and vineyard and as well as carrying trading goods, they transported passengers from one village or town to the next or to the city of London. In the 1850's they had weekly sailings advertised from Southend to Pickle Herring Wharf in the Pool of London. The family were responsible for the building of the first chain pier long before the Southend Pier project of 1829 was commenced.