2,027 total views, 3 views today
About the study
History of the name
- Shenton of Singapore (1879-1962). Shenton Thomas Whitelegge Thomas (Sir Shenton) was Governor General of Singapore when it fell to the Japanese in world War II. Unfortunately for fame and the Shenton surname, 'Shenton' was Sir Shenton's given name, although he was descended from Shentons.
- Sir George Shenton (1842-1909). Sir George was the first mayor of the city of Perth, Australia.
- Edward Shenton (1895-1977). Edward was an American author and illustrator, probably best known for his illustration of the novel The Yearling, by Marjorie Kinnan Rawlings.
- Samuel Shenton. Samuel was the founder and first president of the modern-day Flat Earth Society.
Distribution of the name
Most recent published Censuses from other counties (based also on Ancestry.com data, and with the same 'alternate names' issue) show:
- 387 in the United States (1930 Census), of which 121 were in the state of Maryland
- 36 in Wales (1901 Census), as well as 20 Shintons
- 66 in Canada (1921 Census)
- 4 in Scotland (1901 Census)
Current collection includes:
- All Shenton BMD entries from the General Register Offices for England and Wales, as downloaded from the FreeBMD web site, except for recent additions and updates to that site (c. 30,000).
- Most Shenton BMD entries available from the few counties in England that have county-level transcription efforts and post their results on free web sites (Cheshire, Lancashire, Staffordshire, Wiltshire, and Yorkshire). These county efforts are generally 'works in progress' and every effort will be made to keep current with results as posted.
- Most IGI parish records ('extracted records' only) as posted on the familysearch.org web site, plus a limited number of similar records that are not available on familysearch.org but have been personally viewed (in microfilm) or other sources (C. 7,700).
- All Census records from households containing one or more Shentons from the 1841-1911 England and Wales Censuses.
- Some Census records from households containing one or more Shentons from the 1860-1940 United States Censuses.
- All Census records from households containing one or more Shentons from the 1861-1921 Canada Censuses.
- All Probate entries (926) extracted from the Ancestry.com database of England & Wales National Probate Calendar,
- A very limited number of complete wills and grants of administration of Shentons in England
- A limited number of copies of actual vital record (births, marriages, and deaths) certificates of Shentons in England and the United States.