2,088 total views, 0 views today
About the study
Historical occurrences of the name
Early occurances of the name:
* Thomas de Oxcroft 1327 shown in Reaney & Wilson's origin of surnames.
* Thomas Oscroft shown in the Subsidy Rolls of Derbyshire in 1727, the first recorded spelling of the name in Derbyshire.
* Henry Wainwright and Jane Oscroft were married at Ormskirk, Lancashire in 1624.
* Margretta Oscroft married Thomas Lee at Kirkby in Ashfield, Nottinghamshire in 1630.
Distribution of the name
Sources of information I have used include:
* Lists of the births, marriages and deaths taken from the General Register Office indexes between 1837 and 2005.
* Census Details from the individual page images produced by FindmyPast, 1841 to 1911.
* Parish register information held by the International Genealogical Index (which is not complete for the whole country) and some other parish register details.
* The deaths of service personnel as recorded on the Commonwealth War Graves Commission website.
* Personal information willingly supplied by many individuals which includes that instigated online by Merry Warden during the last decade, my thanks to her and all who have contributed information since.
I have based my study on marriages and now have a database of 450 marriages of male OSCROFTS beginning around 1700 and they continue until 2005 and from these I hope to construct family groups from the early records onwards. There are still more marriages to find and I am adding them daily. Female marriages are difficult to identify unless I know who her parents are and so I hope that enquirers can submit the information from certificates to me when available. Copies of certificates are very welcome (by e-mail if possible, if not, the information contained within it).
Information sought and information given on any aspect of OSCROFT history, preferably by e-mail or by snail mail if stamped addressed envelope supplied. I do not pass on details of living persons to anyone else and when I 'pass on' I hope to leave my research with the Guild in the hope that someone else will be able to continue it./p>
I have created a file of OSCROFT biographies for well known individuals and this includes:
Samuel William Oscroft (1834-1924) - painter (I have now bought one of his pictures).
Byron George & Charlotte Housley - American Pioneers.
Alfred Oscroft, son of Reuben and Charlotte, nee Hogg â Soldier re-enlisted.
Oscroft Cricketers - William, James, Joseph, John, Samuel, Thomas, William John Thomas, Percy William, Donald Straker and Eric (nearly enough for a team).
George Oscroft (1806-) of Westfield House, Sutton in Ashfield.
Claude A Oscroft, pilot.
Harold Oscroft, footballer.
Garnett S. Oscroft, car dealer.
Thomas Oscroft, cycle dealer.
Obituaries for Edwin Oscroft, Mrs P. A.Oscroft and Robert H. Oscroft.
If you would like a copy of any of the above, please ask. I also have a comprehensive study for my own surname which is parallel to but separate from the Guilds representative, Mrs Margaret Spiller, which may be of use to anyone researching my surname.