1,786 total views, 1 views today
About the study
I've been interested in genealogy since 2004. As the Etherton surname was reasonably uncommon, I had spent most of my time researching this line. During that time I had accumulated quite a mish-mash of data regarding the name. Unfortunately, after progressing five generations I came up against my own brick-wall. I then came across the one-name study organisation. I thought it might be a good idea to begin a one-name study project for the Etherton surname. This would enable me to put some use to the data I had already accumulated, as well as allowing me to indulge myself in my new found hobby. Ultimately I am hoping that it might also lead to the missing link which will enable me to overcome my own brick wall. But that's a long way down the line at this moment !
Aims of Study
In no particular order of importance these are what I consider some of the fundamental aims I would like to achieve during this study. Some would be classed as short and some as long term.
- Fully transcribe the Births/Marriages/Deaths for Ethertons in England/Wales from 1837-present day
- Fully transcribe census information for Ethertons in England/Wales for years 1871,1881,1891 and 1901.
- Fully transcribe census information for Ethertons in U.S.A for years 1860,1870,1880,1890, 1900, 1910,1920 and 1930.
- Fully transcribe electoral roll for Ethertons in England / Wales for 2003.
- From the information collated, chart how the Ethertons have migrated and try to identify original Etherton families. Ulitimately I would like to incorporate this into a full DNA study of the Etherton name.
History of the name
Distribution of the name
The Etherton's are distributed across the world in the following numbers.
- USA - 2,033
- UK - 715
- Australia - 176
- Canada - 33
- South Africa - 20
- Ireland - 10
- New Zealand - 9
- France - 8 Netherlands - 5
- Germany - 3