3,351 total views, 2 views today
About the study
Main Dorling Branches (males born 1800-1899)
- Bury St Edmunds 22%. DNA identified, matches West Stow
- West Stow 16%. DNA identified, matches Bury St Edmunds.
- Bacton 15% DNA identified, rare in UK - J2 haplogroup
- Herringswell / Barton mills 19% - DNA identified, rare in UK - I1b1a
- Nacton 4.5%. DNA identified & closest matches are to people of Irish descent.
- Branch unknown 7%
- Bedfield 6% DNA not tested. This line from a female Dorling.
- Dennington 3% DNA identified in one male descendant (YDNA not transferred to FTDNA but I have the results and they are on YSearch
- Framsden 3 %. DNA yet not tested though a Framsden descendant has been sent a kit,
- Waldingfield & Washbrook 2%
- Hadleigh 1% no male descendants known of
Dorlings are known to have emigrated to Australia, New Zealand, Canada, USA, and South Africa.
Historical occurrences of the name
Distribution of the name
- All births, marriages and deaths recorded by civil registration from 1837 to 1930.
- Births, marriages and deaths for some Dorlings from Australian records
- Dorlings in UK census returns i.e. 1841, 51, 61, 71, 81, 91, 1901, 1911, currently processing information from 1939 register, some for Canada & USA.
- Many Dorlings in baptisms, marriages, burials from parish records, especially in East Anglia
- Many wills
- Other historical records such as directories, apprentice records, land & tax records, and letters.
- Photos: I am trying to collect as many Dorling photos as possible, especially of 19th century and early 20th century Dorlings. I would be delighted if anyone can contribute photos of Dorlings or places they lived - please email a high quality image to me if possible- and let me know if you are happy for it to be shared on the internet or not. Photos are available to view on Facebook where there is an album for each branch. i can send non facebook users a link to the album they are interested in.
As at 2018 we have photos of over 100 male Dorlings born over a hundred years ago, and plenty of female dorling photos too.
The earliest Dorling photographed is West Stow branch James Dorling born 1808 Ingham, Suffolk who joined the Cold Stream guards, the first of 4 generations of his fmaily to do so:
Below is a list of some of the male Dorlings (Not updated for some time) I have photos of with their name, year of birth, abbreviation of branch, and place of birth.
albert 1875 BM wangford
benjamin 1897 ws wandsworth
cecil 1905 bed framlingham
charles 1892 12 09 B wandsworth
edward 1863 D st martin
edward 1855 unknown hampstead
edward 1845 B bacton
edward 1909 bedF framlingham
eric 1914 unknown cambridge
esau 1865 ws west stow
frederick 1872 bed ipswich
Fred 1880 BM
Frederick 1913 ws
freeman 1857.11.21 H barton mills
george 1902 B wandsworth
george 1900 B barnsley
george 1825 H barton mills
george 1853 B bacton
george 1918 ws edmonton
henry 1806 05 23 D bexhill
henry 1868 D croydon, addiscome s
henry 1834 D epsom
horace 1885 04 17 B bacton
jack 1926 05 13 B barnsley
James 1867 BM Wangford
james 1918 01 21 Fbse lewisham greenwich
James 1808 ws ingham NB: This is the earliest Dorling I have a photo of.
james 1884 04 09 ws dewsbury
james 1833 BM hockwood cum wilton
james 1851 ws st pancras
james 1825 ws west stow
James 1880 07.22 bseF farnham
james 1883 12 30 WS bse
john 1879 08 25 B walthamstow
john 1906.11.10 B walthamstow
john 1870 bse shoreditch hoxton
kenneth 1922 B? west ham
leonard 1905 ws edmonton
leslie 1897 bed holbrook
oliver 1865 ws culford
reginald 1892 BM
robert 1862 H chelmsford, springfi
robert 1882 B barnsley
robert 1873 H mile end
spencer 1891 WS culford
stanley 1896 10 04 B west ham
thomas 1832/3/6 L southwark? Bermondsey
walter 1872 B bacton
william 1831 04 07 bed Framlingham
william 1843 02 18 B bacton
william 1821 06 10c ws west stow
william 1876 05 23 ws rugby
william 1865 BM Wangford
william 1775 D Ipswich (cs51 Epsom) NB This is a painting, not a photo
william 1901 10 12 ws edmonton
william 1857.11.21 H barton mills
The original Dorling DNA Project started with DNA Heritage in 2005 and used 43 markers. 9 participants representing 6 branches were YDNA tested, but more followed. DNA Heritage ceased operating and the Dorling DNA Project transferred to FTDNA in 2011. All results, except the Epsom/Dennington branch, were transferred to FTDNA and all of these have now been upgraded to a higher level.
Two distant cousins, descendants from each branch, are needed to match to confirm the DNA signature of a branch and this has been done for all the branches tested except the Dennington / Epsom branch. Two matching results from each branch confirmed the DNA signature of the branch enabling us to see if any of the Dorling branches were related to each other.
Results: the Y DNA of the following 5 Dorling branches has been identified with 2 distant descendants from each branch have matching results:-
Bury St Edmunds (BSE) Dorlings,
West Stow Dorlings,
Barton Mills/Herringswell Dorlings
To date we have only 1 DNA sample from the Dennington/Epsom Dorlings and none from the small Framsden branch.