5,174 total views, 7 views today
About the study
Welcome to the Cloud One Name Study.
The official web site for the study is http://cloud-assn.org. It is a collaborative research site and we welcome your contributions. Please visit.
The goal of this project is to respectfully record the history of all CLOUD (and variant) families, to trace the lines as far back as possible and to reconcile broken or lost lineages. This project welcomes all people from all parts of the world who are descended from any of the CLOUD/CLOUDE variant surnames.
Join this project and have your family included in the One-Name study. Contact the project administrator at the email address at the bottom of this page.
Proven variants of the CLOUD surname:
Other possible variants may be:
DNA research into those surnames should help determine if they are variants. Please visit the Cloud DNA Project and consider joining it or comparing data with it if you have any of those variants or suspect you are descended from the CLOUD/CLOUDE/CLOWD line.
Please contact the One-Name Study project administrator with any other variants you believe exist at the Contact email address at the bottom of this page.
The origin of the CLOUD/CLOUDE/CLOWD/CLOWDE surname is unknown and, as there is more than one distinct line for this surname, it probably has more than one origin. It may have come from a place name in England or perhaps it is a variation of an earlier surname (e.g. CLOET). *Please submit any information you may have on the origin of the surname -- or any theories about it -- to the Contact email address below.*
History of the name
Members of the CLOUDE family have been found in England as early as the 13th century. (See Cloudes of Medieval England). Also, recent discoveries in the CLOUD DNA Project seem to indicate the CLOUD family of antiquity may have migrated to eastern Europe and then back to England.
The earliest ancestor of a documented Cloud line (known to this study) lived in England in the 16th century. One of his descendants, William CLOUDE, born 1621 in Devizes, Wiltshire, England, purchased land from William Penn in 1682 and emigrated to the American colonies where he died in 1702.
(Please submit your Cloud ancestors to the Contact link below.)
The United States:
- The 1790 U.S. census (from ancestry.com) indicates 32 CLOUD families and 6 CLOYD families, with most living in Pennsylvania followed by North Carolina, Maryland and New York.
- In 1800 there were 50 CLOUD families recorded, 6 CLOYD/CLOYDE families and 1 CLOUDE family. There were 16 CLOUD families in Pennsylvania; 8 in Delaware; 1 each in Connecticut, D.C., Maryland, Massachusetts and Vermont; 5 each in South and North Carolina; and 4 in New York state.
- In 1810 there were 53 CLOUD surnamed families having spread into Virginia and Kentucky. There were 2 CLOUDE families and 21 CLOYD families in 1810.
- The 1850 census lists over 2,300 total people (not family groups) with the CLOUD and variant surnames with other countries of origin including Canada, England, France, Germany, Ireland and Scotland.
- The 1900 U.S. census lists 1808 heads of families with the CLOUD surname or a variant of it. Of those, 80 claim to be American Indian and 1 claims Russian origin.
- The 2000 U.S. census indicates 13,985 people surnamed CLOUD, 177 surnamed CLOUDT, 151 surnamed CLOUDE and 143 surnamed CLOUDY.
England, Scotland, Ireland & Wales:
- From the 1881 British census, there were 141 CLOUD families living in the counties of London (67), Shropshire (15), Devon (13), Surrey (13), Sussex (8), Lancashire (7), Monmouthshire / Sir Fynwy (5), Nottinghamshire (5), Forfarshire (Angus) (4), Kent (4).
A September 2002 extract of an Office of National Statistics database of surnames in England, Wales and the Isle of Mann produced the following results:
- The 1851 Census of Canada East, Canada West, New Brunswick, and Nova Scotia lists 12 CLOID, 4 CLOUD and 2 CLOYD people.
- The 1901 Canadian census lists 51 CLOUD surnamed people and 1 CLOUDE. There are 21 people surnamed CLODD and 12 people surnamed CLOND or CLONDE and 2 surnamed CLOYDE.
Distribution of the name
The earliest known CLOUDE families are found in England in the 10th century. There are CLOUD/CLOUDE families currently living all over the world, including Australia, Canada, England, Ireland, Scotland, France, Germany, Mexico, and the United States.
Please tell us about any Cloud/Cloude families in other countries by using the contact link below or by contributing to the information at The Cloud One Name Study Official Site.