3,523 total views, 0 views today
About the study
History of the name
- 1214 William LE CLOS (Curia Regis Rolls, Cambridge)
- 1296 Nicholas DE CLOS (Subsidy Rolls, Sussex)
- 1327-1333 Thomas DE(L) CLOS(E) of Grinton (Subsidy Rolls, Yorkshire)
- 1355-1362 Sir Thomas DEL CLOSE, Rector of Brougham, Westmorland
- 1401-1409 John CLOOS, attorney (Calendar of Assize Rolls, Calendar of Plea & Memoranda Rolls, London)
- 1417 John CLOSE (sen. & jun.), Robert CLOSE, soldiers (http://medievalsoldier.org)
- 1448-1450 Nicholas CLOOS D.Th. Prebendary of Wedmore Quarta
- 1450-1452 Nicholas CLOSE (or CLOOS), Bishop of Carlisle
- 1470 death of Stephen CLOSE (or CLOOS), Archdeacon of Carlisle
- 1479-1501 John CLOOS, Dean of Chichester
- 1491-92 Rychard CLOSE, warden, St Mary at Hill, City of London
Please let me know if you come across other early references.
Distribution of the name
- Yorkshire - mainly Swaledale - (415)
- Durham (205)
- Lancashire - the majority around Wigan and Liverpool - (159)
- Gloucestershire - centred around Minchinhampton (142).
- A total of 113 occurred in Lincolnshire and Northamptonshire, mainly in and around Collyweston.
- Caernarvonshire (20) - believed to be descendants of a Swaledale CLOSE -
- Middlesex (15)
- Monmouthshire (10) (some of whom are elsewhere listed as CLOSE)
- single figures in just 5 other counties of England & Wales.
I am now beginning to work my way through the Scottish census records and find that the majority of people named CLOSE or CLOSS in Scotland appear to be of Irish descent.
Do you know of other 'hotspots' for these surnames?
- CLOSE and variants births 1837-1963
- CLOSE and variants marriages 1837-1963
- CLOSE and variants deaths 1837-1963.
- CLOSE and variants wills and administration 1858-1930.
- CLOSE and variants England & Wales census data 1841-1911
I also have more recent BMD records in my database - please contact me if you need information about these. The CLOSE listings for the whole of the England and Wales census 1841-1911 are now (more or less!) complete. If you're able to help in preparing spreadsheets for Scotland and USA (or any other!) census data, I'd be delighted to collaborate with you.
Please let me know if you find any errors or if you can add further information. I'm grateful to those who have contacted me recently with additional information on CLOSE families. If you don't find what you are looking for, please contact me (details below) and I may be able to help.