466 total views, 1 views today
About the study
History of the name
James Brindley Bettington (1796-1857) - merchant and pastoralist who settled in Australia in 1827. Horse and sheep breeder and a member of the Legislative Council of NSW 1851-53
- Rowland Arthur Bettington (1852-1933) - settled in South Africa in 1872 and raised the irregular force 'Bettington's Horse' associated with the Jameson Raid
Jack (John Louis) Beddington (1893-1959) - Head of Shell advertising and Head of Film for the Ministry of Information during the Second World War
Distribution of the name
- BMDs - GRO Indexes complete for England and Wales 1837 to 2005, ongoing for others. Contains 2,396 entries (91%)
- Census Databases - All indexed entries collected for the 1841 to 1901 UK censuses with substantial progress on other local ones. We presently have 1,730 names (89%)
- Parish Registers Database - Initially sourced from the IGI but now heavily expanded to contain 782 entries (74%)
- Wills Database - Includes all national probate and death duty records 1811 to 2004, PCC Wills and Admons pre 1858 plus a growing number of local probates. Over 570 persons are mentioned within the records (99%)
- Miscellaneous Databases - A growing collection of other references in national and local archives
- Pedigrees - The eight main pedigrees account for most persons in the late 19c censuses and many earlier fragments represent our work in progress.
Our Y-DNA study of males bearing any of the variants of our names has recently been initiated and we are seeking further participants. Its primary object is to determine how our major documentary pedigrees relate to each other. As it is in its early stages we'd welcome hearing from anybody bearing one of the name variants detailed elsewhere on this page but particularly from any Beddingtons or Biddingtons with Forest of Dean ancestry or any Australian Bettingtons.
Please get in touch through the contact details at the foot of the page.