1,914 total views, 1 views today
About the study
When the Normans came in William the Conquerors' time (1066-1087) the area known as Baggiley in Cheshire was held by Hamon Massy, Baron of Durham Massy, was given it as reward for his Knights service and which was to be handed down to his heirs and successors.
Around the time of King John, (1129-1216), the heir of Hamon Massy, another Hamon Massy, gave Mathew Massy of Bromhale: Bromhale, Duckenfield, and two parts of Baggiley. At this time the 'Hamon Massy' heirs adopted the name Baggiley, as well. Later to be known as Baguley, derivatives of which include Baggaley, Baggaly and Baggarley, so our original name was Massy.
It is certain that this town of Baguley, some twelve miles from Manchester, gave the name to the family Baggiley (Baguley). There were certain Baggileys known to be resident as early as the reign of Henry III, (1216-1272).
As to whether Hamon Massy, Baron of Durham was a direct ancestor of Sir William de Baggiley (aka: de Baguley) still has to be established.
Sir William de Baggiley (aka: de Baguley) born c1260 was knighted by King Edward I, and later married one of the King's daughters, Lucy Corona who was born out of wedlock. It was quite common in those days for the King to have children by someone other than the Queen. Lucy's mother (a Lady in Waiting) worked in the King's court. Sir William and Lucy had five children who all married into well-to-do families. During this time the Baguley family were quite well up in the aristocracy of England. They owned the Salt Mines in Cheshire and a mill for processing from which they made their fortune.
In the reign of Edward II, (1284-1327), Sir William de Baggiley was Lord of Baguley and built Baguley Hall c1320 and was Lord of the Manor until his death. At which time he also owned a manor at Hyde, another at Levenshulme in Lancashire and an inn called The Ryle Thorn in Baguley. He was succeeded by his son John Baggiley (aka: John Baguley) born c1290; who died around 1356 and his daughter Isabel as joint heirs of his property. Isabel married Sir John Leigh of Booths, a widower. It was their eldest son William who inherited Baguley Hall which remained in the Leigh family until the late seventeenth century, when the line terminated in Edward Leigh. He had married Elinour Tatton of Wythenshawe Hall and although they had three daughters, there was no son to succeed him.
An effigy of Sir William is housed in St. Mary's Church, Bowden Parish, Cheshire not far from the old Baguley Hall. The coat of arms was demolished when Baguley Hall was made over to Sir John Leigh of Booths near Knutsford around 1353.
History of the name
Having left London, on or about the 17th September 1841 from the East Indian Docks, the Mary Ann, a 600 ton barque, set sail in a floatila, including the Fifeshire, Lord Auckland and Lloyds, for the tweenty week voyage to New Zealand, pausing for more favourable wheather in the Downs, off the Kent coast till the 24th September 1841. Captained by Thomas Bolton accompanied by Surgeon Superintendent, Charles John Robert Cook. Aboard in steerage class were James Henry, his wife Louiza and Eliza their six year old daughter, bound for Nelson, New Zealand on assisted passage 3592. They arrived in Nelson, on the South Island, on February 8th 1842.
Louiza gave birth two days latter, aboard ship, to James Henry Augustus. After settling Louiza gave birth to William, in 1845 and Louiza in 1848 unfortunately this year proved a disaster for James and his family, for William died of dropsy and Louiza died a few days after birth, followed three months later by her mother.