On the 9th September 2015, Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth became the longest-serving monarch in British History, moving past the 63 years and 216 days of her great-great-grandmother Queen Victoria’s reign. The Guild of One-Name Studies wishes to congratulate the Queen on this remarkable milestone in her reign.
Longest serving British monarchs
The ten longest serving British monarchs are:
1. Queen Elizabeth II. 6th February 1952 to present. As at 9th September 2015 – 63 years, 7 months and 3 days
2. Queen Victoria. 20th June 1837 to 22nd January 1901 -63 years, 7 months, 2days
3. King George III. 25th October 1760 to 29th January 1820 – 59 years, 3 months, 2 days
4. King Henry III. 18th October 1216 to 16th November 1272 – 59 years, 29 days
5. King Edward III. 25th January 1327 to 21 June 1377 – 50 years, 4 months, 25 days
6. Queen Elizabeth I. 17th November 1558 to 24th March 1603 – 44 years, 4 months, 5 days
7. King Henry VI. 1st September 1422 to 3rd October 1470 – 39 years, 1 month, 18 days
8. King Aethered II the Unready. 18th March 978 to 23rd April 1016 – 38 years, 1 month, 5 days
9. King Henry VIII. 21st April 1509 to 28th January 1537 – 37 years, 9 months, 7 days
10. King Henry I. 3rd August 1100 to 2nd December 1135 – 35 years, 3 month, 28 days
The Guild of One-Name Studies is the world’s leading organisation for one-name studies and details of all its facilities can be found at: www.one-name.org/about-the-guild/membership-benefits -where you can find out:
- more about undertaking a One-Name Study
- the benefits of joining the Guild of One-Name Studies, and the assistance members of the Guild can provide to anyone researching their family history on any of the 8,800-plus names currently being researched.
On the Guild’s website you can search whether any of the Guild members are researching your family surnames. For example, at present, the Windsor surname is not registered with Guild as a surname study, but occurrences of the surname Windsor are recorded in the following Guild Indexes:
|Marriage Index 1837-1911||154|
|World Wide Marriages Index||24|
Go to the Guild’s Website today and see whether any of your family surnames are being researched by Guild members – if any of them are being researched there is a very good chance that they will be able to assist with your family research.
Cliff Kemball, the Guild’s Publicity Manager, said today:
The Guild of One-Name Studies would like to congratulate Her Majesty The Queen on becoming the longest reigning monarch in British History, and say a heartfelt thank you for all she has done during her reign.
2,834 total views, 4 views today